Wednesday, June 6, 2007

If it's yellow, let it mellow

So one thing I do is when I pee, I don't flush. My pee is usually clear from all the water I drink. I am fully hydrated as an individual. Seriously. It makes no sense to waste all of that CLEAN water, just to flush down my urine which is mostly water anyway. At the house I lived at my junior year of college, all of my roommates (who a lot were not like me) learned to let it mellow too. If my toilet starts to smell weird or get too full, then I'll flush it. But it usually gets brown before that. That's how the saying goes. If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

But yeah. It takes toilets 2-4 gallons of FRESH CLEAN WATER to flush. How ridiculous is that? I just read that at least 55,000 people die every day as a result of malnutrition -- these are areas that do not have the clean water resources that we do. Water may be a renewable resource, but it's being depleted WAAAAY quicker than it's being regenerated (just like soil).

Toilets that we use now are really outdated. We have waaay better technology. I don't know why people don't install these bugggers --



Composting toilets! They make sense-- they use practically no water, and they convert human waste, or "humanure" into a fertilizer usable for plants. Check out this site for some more facts about composting toilets.

http://compostingtoilet.org/faq/index.php

4 comments:

Neva said...

I particularly liked the definition poop you had in hyour house at school that was readily "seeable" when you sat!!!I like your thoughts....

GR8UMPS3 said...

OH boy!

When we as a civilized people go into a third world country and see the raw sewage running through the street and through peoples living spaces, we as a civilized people have to do something about this. And we have.

and WHY?

These conditions cause horrible diseases and create living conditions that no one should have to live with. Do your research.

You say "It makes no sense to waste all of that CLEAN water"
It is not wasting it is prevention.

When you say "If my toilet starts to smell weird or get too full, then I'll flush it."

it is too late. The germs and bacteria are already flooding your living environment. What you need to do now is to flush your whole house with anti-bacterial chemicals. And I know you don't want that.

When you say "It takes toilets 2-4 gallons of FRESH CLEAN WATER to flush. How ridiculous is that?"

How ridiculous is it that your insurance company will have to pay thousands to get you better because you want to save a few gallons of a renewable resource.

ok this is a good one.
When you say "I just read that at least 55,000 people die every day as a result of malnutrition -- these are areas that do not have the clean water resources that we do."
Exactly, When they get a clean water source, they can grow crops and surprise surprise.... They can flush their disease causing waste to be re-sanitized and re-used to grow crops and flush again and again and again.

So, I hear what your intentions are but they do not make a lot of sense, according to your beliefs. If you want to feed the 55,000, you would promote an organization that is trying to rid the world of the fresh water problem.

And, if you want to continue your practice of non-Flush. Why don’t you schedule a pee break for all of your friends to do it one after another, without flushing, then flush when everyone is done. That saves your precious 2.5 gallons of re-cycled waste water.

OR just go outside and pee.

Mamaw said...

Shannon,
It sounds like Dr. Oz He is always talking about poop and the like on Oprah. I'm glad you have a blog. I'll keep up with you!
Love Ya,
Mamaw

tanidia said...

OK now a comment from your Aunt. If you visit me the toliet better be flushed that's just nasty. I hate to think what Uncle Mike would say) I thought we taught you better. I still love you but not no it's a hell no on the untidy toilet.